General Dental Services
Gum disease or periodontitis is a common, yet alarming, oral health concern. Without immediate treatment, it can develop into an infection in the soft tissues of the mouth. That is why we always remind patients to maintain their oral health and make regular dental appointments. Although most patients understand that they need to clean their teeth thoroughly, there is not enough emphasis on including your tongue, cheeks, and gums.
How to keep your gums healthy
- Keep hydrated – A dry mouth is vulnerable to diseases and infection, so drinking plenty of water every day will help; for existing gum problems, put salt in warm water to relieve any discomfort and/or try sugar-free lozenges to stimulate saliva flow
- Floss – Not only helping to prevent tooth decay, plaque and tartar buildup, flossing at least once a day also averts gum issues like inflammation by reaching below the gum line where a toothbrush cannot get
- Therapeutic mouthwash – Incorporating antibacterial mouthwash into your oral care routine is an effective, additional method to help prevent the need for gum surgery and other complicated oral health treatments
- Fluoride toothpaste – Regularly using fluoride toothpaste has many benefits, including keeping your gums healthy by reducing the growth of plaque on your teeth and even treating simple cases of gingivitis
- Quit smoking – No matter how strictly you follow an oral hygiene routine, smoking of any kind will counteract everything as it is the primary cause of oral diseases, especially those that affect the gums; visit your dentist if you need help quitting
It is so important to look after your teeth and gums throughout your life to protect yourself from gum disease. In addition to regular brushing and flossing, visiting a dentist twice per year is essential to help maintain good oral health. Contact us today at Wortley Road Dental to book your appointment.
Ensuring Your Family’s Dental Health. Book An Appointment With Us!