Don’t Take Chances: 5 Diabetic Risks Everyone Should Know
Gum disease has been called a complication of diabetes, and since diabetics are more prone to gum disease, they need to be especially vigilant about oral health.
1. If you are diabetic, you are more likely to develop infections, including gum disease.
2. Gum disease can make it more difficult for anyone to control blood sugar, especially if you are diabetic.
3. Uncontrolled blood sugar can increase your risk of complications.
4. Diabetes is a major risk factor for systemic illnesses including Alzheimer’s and cardiovascular diseases. Both have been linked to gum disease.
5. Nearly 26 million North Americans including kids, are affected by diabetes, while an estimated 79 million adults aged 20 years or older have “prediabetes” where blood sugar is higher than normal.
If you are diabetic or prediabetic, have a conversation with your health care provider and dental professional about the necessary approach to your oral health! Preventative treatment is always the best option!
Ensuring Your Family’s Dental Health. Book An Appointment With Us!